Last updated: July 1, 2020
This document is meant to help you understand what information we collect with Intent and how we use it. Throughout this document, when we refer to Intent, we’re referring to our mobile application that helps you meal plan and build healthy habits, created by our company, Excipient, Inc.
If you read nothing else, please read this:
- Information about your meal plans, diet, exercise, and body weight is private. We understand the responsibility of protecting the privacy and security of this information and will do our best to uphold this.
- We collect information on your usage of Intent in order to improve the app. This policy is not intended to place any limits on what we do with usage data that is aggregated or de-identified so it is no longer tied to a Intent user.
Information we collect
There are a few types of information we collect. Some of it is identifiable and some is non-identifying or aggregated. Here are the types:
- User information. When you download and first start using Intent, we ask you a few questions about who you are, your current diet and fitness habits and preferences, and your goals. You may also provide additional information to us when you contact us with a problem or question.
- Information you enter into Intent. This includes meal plans you construct, weight data that has been manually entered or automatically transmitted from a scale, responses to our conversations, and your application preferences.
- Device information. When you use Intent, we may collect information about the device you are using Intent on, including what type of device it is, what operating system you’re using, device settings, device identifiers, and crash data.
- Intent usage data. We collect analytics on the various actions performed by users within Intent to help us better understand how to improve the application.
How we use your information
We use this information for the following:
- Providing the Intent service. We use information you provide to ensure a personalized experience. This includes the meal plans we suggest, as well as reminders we might send you through the app.
- Understanding and improving the product. We have to understand how users use Intent in order to make the product better. For this purpose we examine usage data to analyze user behaviors.
- Responding to your feedback. If you contact us with a problem or question, we will use your information to respond and address your feedback.
We will comply with individual requests regarding data access, correction, and/or deletion in accordance with applicable law.
Disclosure of your information
There are specific situations when we may share user information.
- With consent. If we have your consent, we may share your information with a third-party.
- To comply with legal process. If we believe that disclosure of information is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation, or legal request, we may share your information. If we receive a law enforcement or third party request for information, we will provide prior notice to the subject of the request where we are legally permitted to do so.
- For research purposes. We may share aggregated or de-identified information with our partners or others for research purposes. For example, we may partner with an academic researcher interested in exploring questions around weight loss. This policy is not intended to prohibit the disclosure and use of aggregated or de-identified data.
Our commitment to data security
Intent uses commercially reasonable safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Intent. Using unsecured wifi or unprotected networks is not recommended. If Intent learns of a security breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically so you can take appropriate protective steps.
Our commitment to the privacy of children
Intent is not meant for use by children under the age of 13. If you learn that a minor child has provided information without your consent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the event of merger, sale, or bankruptcy
In the event that Excipient Inc. is acquired by or merged with a third party entity, we reserve the right to transfer or assign the information we have collected from our Intent users as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or change in control. In the (hopefully unlikely!) event of our bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application of laws or equitable principles affecting creditors’ rights generally, we may not be able to control how your information is treated, transferred, or used.
We may change this policy from time to time. If you continue to use Intent after any changes are in effect, you agree to the revised policy. If the changes are material, we will provide a more prominent notice or seek your consent to the new policy.